Followers

Translate

Sunday, 9 November 2014

Nearly a Sweet Success !!!!

Good Morning all,
 
 
As it's Remembrance Sunday, I spent yesterday afternoon baking some confectionary from my childhood.
 
I remember that when I was young I went to the local library quite often, and one of my favourite books that I took out was called "Time for Tea". This little book had lots of lovely sweet recipes and I use to enjoy making things at the weekends for my two brothers and my parents. I can remember taking this book out quite often as I enjoyed it so much. A few years ago I tried to see if I could buy this book - but as I don't know who had written it I couldn't find it on-line as there were many books with the same title.
 
Anyway, back to yesterday. I went through my cook books and found 4 recipes:- "Coconut Ice", "Fudge", "Peppermint Creams" and "Truffles".
 
Only 3 out of the 4 were a success - the fudge hasn't set. I don't know if I managed to get the correct temperature before I turned off the heat.  The other three came out fine. My husband and son agreed that they tasted good. I think I will use the fudge in a cake (no waste - as in war time - nothing was thrown away!!)
 
I am lucky not to have been alive during WW1 or WW2, and when I think of all the lives lost - many men the ages of my two sons 24 & 22, I thank my lucky stars that they too have not had to go through it.
 
A time not only to remember the past,  but also a time to rejoice in the present, and hope for the future. x
 
 
See you again soon. Take care. x


3 comments:

  1. Fabulous Janice, every Christmas when my kids were at home we used to make truffles and coat them with either Chocolate, coconut or whatever, we used to make pretty little boxes (usually out of old shoe boxes, or get kiddies shoe boxes from Clarkes that they throw away) decorate them and give as presents to their teachers or friends, used to be so much fun! Never made coconut ice before though.

    We are lucky at this present time and its only because of those who lost their lives for us, the same can be said for todays young men & women in the armed forces, I have to say no matter how proud I am of all those in the forces I am glad neither of my two took that route. Gladly my two wear their poppies with pride as do I each year. We have a lot to be thankful for.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice these look yummy, you will have to get Ang ( Mrs Duck). To give you her chocolate recipe with peanuts and crunchie bar in it. It's to die for. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janice
    My mouth is watering and I haven't a sweet tooth. I remember doing peppermint creams and coconut ice at school, yum!
    May have to put my choccy recipe on my blog lol!
    Best wishes.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete